Ministries to the Deaf
St. Ann’s Church for the Deaf
St. Ann’s Church for the Deaf is the center of ministries to the deaf in our diocese. See our Powerpoint slide shows – click on the links in the right hand menu.
See also Resources for the Deaf
All Are Welcome!
The oldest Episcopal church for the deaf in the United States, St. Ann’s held its first service in 1852 and was founded officially in 1854 by the Rev. Thomas Gallaudet, who had previously held his first service in Sign Language on October 3, 1852 in the chapel of New York University.
347.458.9571 (text only) 646.807.4019 VP (Video Phone)
St. Ann’s Practices Radical Hospitality!
The St. Ann’s congregation is diverse in every way. All are welcome as they come together as one from around the city and the state to praise God. Members come from all racial and ethnic backgrounds and are of all ages. They include deaf, hearing, hard of hearing, fluent signers, so-so signers and non-signers. Families consist of deaf children with hearing parents, hearing children with deaf parents and every other possible combination.
Service Begins at 11:00 a.m. in the lower chapel at
St. George’s Church
209 East 16th Street (off 3rd Ave).
Lunch is served after the service.
Religious Instruction for Deaf Children
is offered periodically on Sundays
Basement of St. George’s Church
Noon to 1 p.m.
Lunch from St. George’s Soup Kitchen
Social time at St. Ann’s own room includes Bible classes, art and educational programs, museum and theater visits, participation and advocacy in special events.