- This event has passed.
Congregational Development Training: Congregations at a Crossroads
April 29 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Please note: Venue has changed to St. Mark’s Church, Mount Kisco.
Working together in the resurrection of hope in our congregations.
WHO: This training is designed for congregations needing to make critical decisions.
WHAT: Many congregations have intractable issues they face month after month. They appear repeatedly on Vestry agendas or lurk year after year with no solution in sight. Some congregations have growth problems and are not sure how to move into the next level.
- What does God want to have happen here?
- How do we hear the Holy Spirit’s leading?
Join us in a day for congregations that are at a crossroads and have complicated or difficult decisions to make and could use a fresh take and some fresh air.
The program for the day has been adjusted to allow more time for small group work on discernment in general, and God’s call for your congregation in particular. We encourage multiple leaders/ a team to come from each congregation whenever possible.
Updated Program for the Day
- The Rev. Nora Smith, Keynote Speaker ~will introduce the Grounded in God discernment process.
- Bishop Shin will present on different models of collaboration among congregations here and abroad.
- There will be time in small groups, with experienced facilitators, to discern the questions that we bring to God’s call for our churches, and how can we use this process to help our church leaders discern God’s call.
Among the questions we will consider and use:
- How do we enter spiritual discernment as a community on difficult issues?
- How to ask questions that invite imagining new possibilities, ideas, solutions?
- Learning together how to discern God’s call and invitation.
- Time for brainstorming next steps for your congregations with experienced facilitators.
What to bring (as you are able):
- The book Grounded in God (for sale on-line in both paperback and digital formats – https://www.churchpublishing.org/products/groundedingodrevisededition).
- Your congregation’s current Annual Budget
- Latest Annual Report
- Parochial Report
- A copy for each participant of their local neighborhood/town newspaper
- Demographics in the area surrounding your congregation: available free at (The Episcopal Church website): http://www.episcopalchurch.org/posts/evangelisminitiatives/church-demographics
These will help you in providing current facts to formulate the best questions for your discernment process.
Cost until April 1: $18 for the first and $8 for additional attendees
Cost after April 1: $20 for the first and $10 for additional attendees
Registration Deadline: April 27
We’re sorry, but registration for this event is now closed.