Campus & Young Adult Missioner for Harlem, Upper Manhattan and the Bronx
The Diocese of New York seeks a Priest for a full-time position to build communities of fellowship, worship, learning and service among young adults in a variety of settings and among faculty and staff of the campus communities with which she or he ministers. The geographic area of this missionary ministry is defined as Uptown Manhattan, including Harlem and Morningside Heights as well as the Bronx in New York City.
- Seek opportunities that challenge young adults including students to discover the presence of Christ within and beyond the walls of traditional church buildings and grounds and campuses.
- Must be able to balance pastoral care with a prophetic voice to various authorities with which she or he works.
- 25% of the Missioner’s time will be dedicated to Columbia University and Barnard College providing pastoral care to students, staff and faculty; 50% of the Missioner’s time will be devoted to identifying new campus ministries, nurturing a relationship with the administration and student support services at campuses; 25% of the Missioner’s time will be to tend to diocesan related activities and professional development, meeting with Campus Ministry Committee.
- Develop ways to sustain new campus ministries by developing peer-ministry programs.
- Develop relationships with parishes, congregations, clergy and key persons in Manhattan North Inter-Parish Council and Bronx Inter-Parish Council.
Qualification and/or Experience:
- Must possess a Master’s Degree in Divinity and be an ordained priest in good standing with the Episcopal Church.
- At least 3 years of full time ministry.
- Previous experience in leading young adult ministries.
- Experience working in an environment with large staff, diverse population, and complex operations preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and passion for creating communities of Christian fellowship, learning and service.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Gather and analyze information ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, excellent oral, planning, interpersonal and organizational skills needed. Must exhibit sound judgment and ethical practices.